Tethering from mobile phones is becoming more popular these days – lots of people use tethering as a cost saving measure to share their phone data plans with other computers – laptops, notebooks and tablet PCs.
Some tablet users will soon prefer to tether from their Tablet PCs instead of their phones. This is because there is an increase in the number of Android Tablets supporting built-in 3G and 4G radios. I predict that tethering capabilities will soon become a must-have on most Tablet PCs in the nearest future.
The T70 is one of the few WiFi Tethering Android Tablets available in the market today. It supports both WIFI hotspot and USB tethering capabilities which means users can either connect one or more devices to the Internet via the T70 tablet device at a time. Sharing internet bandwidth will decrease overall data plan costs for families and friends on the long run.
T70 Product Specifications
The T70 Android tablet has the following specifications:
- CPU: Qualcomm MSM7227-T, ARM11,800Mhz
- Display 7” TFT LED (resolution 800 X 480)
- TP Capacitive multi touch
- Memory 512MB DDR2
- ROM 512MB NAND 4G TF
- Storage TF Card (max. 32GB)
- OS Google Android 2.2
- Camera Two cameras (Front: 0.3M, Back: 2.0M)
- WIFI Built in WIFI, support 802.11b/g/n
- 3G Built in 3G. Support 3G calling.
- Bluetooth Built in BT – (V2.1)
Configuring WiFi Tethering Android Tablets
Follow the steps below to enable Wireless or USB tethering on your T70 device (this may slightly differ on other devices)
- From the Settings icon, Select “Wireless & Networks”
- Select “Tethering & Portable Hotspot”
- Enable USB tethering or Portable WiFi Hotspot by selecting the check marks
If you want to configure the WiFi hotspot,
- Select “Portable WiFi hotspot settings”
- Enable “Portable WiFi hotspot”
- Configure WiFi hotspot with the following settings
- Network SSID – keep the default our change it to any name you want
- Security – Select Open or WPA2 PSK (preferred)
- Password – Assign a password
Once the device is configured you can connect other Wireless devices to the WiFi Tethering Android Tablet using the network SSID and password.
WiFi tethering – Performance and battery life
I have been using my T70 device to connect other tablets to the Internet. The overall speed is generally good, but I will recommend not adding more than 2 devices to the hotspot. Battery life of the T70 does not drain when tethering – this is a good attribute. However battery life is generally dependent on services running on the tablet at the time of tethering.
Overall, WiFi Tethering Android Tablets will gradually become an alternative WiFi hotspot for individuals that want to share their data plans with other devices in the family or on the road.